Monday, November 10, 2008

Ok, well I haven't posted anything in a while. So what's going on with me? Well, I am applying for a local community college. I'm working on getting financial aid right now. I am very excited to attend! I will be taking classes towards a bachelor of science in engineering! Very excited! I don't really know what I want to do with such a degree, I change my mind too often. It's quite frustrating actually, to not be able to choose one thing and stick to it.
My girlfriend had some friends over last weekend. We had a pretty good time, though it was awkward for a while because she hadn't told me that she had dated this particular friend until a few minutes before we were going to go have dinner with him. I felt like a fool for a while. But he turned out to be a very nice person, very considerate and deep thinking.
Anyway, oh we tie dyed this weekend! That was fun! I'll post some pictures of the clothes we did later. All of them turned out interesting in one way or another. Mostly pretty random colors blotched into odd patterns. I like them!
Oh my girlfriend and I (we live together) got a new little cat who we have named Dante! He is very cute. I am about to take him to the vet actually; he has a cat cold from the local animal shelter. He has been sneezing so badly! Poor guy.
Ok so I have a half-ass idea that I want to try to put together over the next couple of years. I will be taking engineering classes and have been thinking what I want to do with the skills I pick up. One beautiful, but not completely practical idea I had was to use my engineering skills and CAD to create functional pieces of art. Like entry gates, fences, lamp posts and other useful objects sculpted in an artful, complex, and appealing way. I imagine gates made of bent tubing, forming and meshing into designs whilst being simple, elegant, and precise. I have always enjoyed any piece of art in which, just by looking at the piece, you can see the detail and precision that went into the piece. I plan to mill into large slabs of aluminum, creating twisted lamp posts... and other sculpted functional pieces.
I also want to do work in free energy of course. I am sort of overwhelmed by the field currently. I love reading about Tesla's work. I admire his genius. We really need to get off of other energy sources. I feel like our presidents of past have not stood strong enough to take on oil companies, or even find a viable alternative to coal. We are still living on an energy infrastructure and technology that was created at the end of the 1800s. Even electric vehicles were around then! I am very glad about Obama being elected as the next president. I hope he can do some things to stir up our economy and innovation. We need more engineers in this day and age. And we need decentralization of information and knowledge to make everyone smarter and to make their quality of live better. We need better schools, or we need to come up with something better than schools. We need better jobs. We need more entrepreneurs! We need more small businesses that can compete with conglomerate companies. We need INNOVATION! As for my personal thoughts on schools, I think they should provide pupils with skill sets needed to think and create on their own. Not tell students how or what to think, or how they should live. Students should be provided with growing and thinking abilities, in which they can cultivate their own thoughts about what they want to do in the world. That may be somewhat idealist, but I think people are smart enough to think for themselves and that they can create a life for themselves out of their own creation, not out of what they are told they have to do to get by in life. Life is for living, not getting by!

No comments: